Magnetic rope testing (MRT) –
The view into the rope
Non-destructive testing of steel wire ropes
For many years, magnetic rope testing has been THE testing method of choice when it comes to non-destructive testing of steel ropes of any kind.
The wire rope is thereby magnetized up to magnetic saturation (>1.9 Tesla). Defects in the rope disturb this magnetic field, resulting in stray fields that can be measured.
In this way, a large number of rope damages can be detected at an early stage:
- internal and external broken wires
- internal and external corrosion
- Clamping points
- Structural changes
The test is performed quickly and easily at a speed of up to 4 m/s (approx. 14 km/h). The evaluation of the measurements is subsequently carried out by our experienced inspectors.
Wide range of application
ROTEC GmbH offers you non-destructive rope testing for a diameter range from 4 to 140 mm (and beyond if required).
As the client, you will receive a comprehensive report for the magnetic rope inspection with a detailed description of the rope condition and with recommendations for care and maintenance.
Any type of steel wire rope can be tested
Any kind of steel cables can be magnetically tested by us:
- Hauling, traction, suspension, tensioning and guy ropes for ropeways.
- Haulage ropes of ski lifts
- hoisting ropes of cranes, ship elevators, container bridges, dredgers, elevators
- Suspension cables of bridges, communication towers, cable structures, stadiums, ferries, ZipLines,
- Hoisting ropes from viewing towers, roller coasters, etc.
If your application is not listed, please feel free to ask us.
Are you interested in the topic of magnetic rope testing?
Contact us without any obligation.